Your bathroom is one of the busiest rooms in your home. If it’s not meeting your functional needs or doesn’t quite suit your personal style, it might be a good time for a makeover. Here are five bathroom remodeling tips to get you started.
1. Before you even meet with a contractor, talk to everyone who uses your bathroom. What is and isn’t working for you? Do you have enough storage? If it’s a shared space, would adding another sink and/or mirror be desirable?
2. Set a realistic budget for your bathroom remodeling project and share it with your contractor. Some people hesitate to discuss the “b-word” with their contractor. However, sharing your budget right up front allows your contractor to come up with realistic options for you from the beginning. Bear in mind that you will save a lot of money on your remodel if you keep your new plumbing fixtures in close proximity to your existing plumbing.
3. Consider your design options. From classic/traditional, to serene spa, to modern farmhouse--when it comes to remodeling your bathroom, you have virtually endless design options. Why? Because there are so many elements that go into designing a bathroom:
-Cabinetry and Hardware
-Faucets and Plumbing Fixtures
-Paint or Wall Covering
Get inspiration from sites like Pinterest or ask your contractor to share their project gallery with you. You may discover some designs you never even thought about.
This unique cabin-style bathroom includes a custom cabinet with inlay created with a variety of evenly-sized, bark-covered sticks.
4. Splurge a little. Since bathrooms are generally smaller spaces, a little splurging can go a long way toward creating a look of luxury. Consider custom cabinets, an upscale lighting element, or higher-end floor or wall materials. Your contractor can advise you on how to get the greatest bang for your buck.
5. Design with an eye toward the future. If you see yourself selling your home within a couple of years, keep this in mind when planning your overall design. While your bathroom remodel should reflect your personal taste, try to avoid trendy designs that could turn off a prospective buyer.
Bathroom Remodeling in Northern and Central NH and Western ME
If you’re thinking about remodeling your bathroom, contact the pros at Cormack construction for a complimentary consultation. Our award-winning team has over 40 years of home building and remodeling experience.