Spring is a great time to focus on the outside appearance of your home. Fortunately, there are a lot of low-cost ways to make a high visual impact. Here are seven tips on how to kick up your home’s curb appeal.
1. Clear the clutter.
Take a walk around your home and remove any items that contribute to the appearance of clutter, including kids’ toys, bikes, skateboards, garden tools, etc. Clear your yard from branches, leaves, and other debris. Remove dog waste and any litter that may have blown into your yard. Keep yard statuary, furniture, and other outdoor decor to a minimum.
2. Freshen up your front entrance.
- Your entryway is the first impression visitors have when coming to your home. Here’s how to freshen it up:
- Remove any unnecessary clutter.
- Give your steps a good sweeping and add a new welcome mat.
- Wash down your door and give it a fresh coat of paint if needed.
- Hang a wreath.
- Add some new house numbers.
- Polish any metal knobs or fixtures.
- Repair or replace any damaged screen doors or storm doors.
- Take care of any rotted molding, trim, or steps.
- Consider installing a new custom front door to give your home a high-end look.
Need help maintaining your home? Cormack’s Handyman Service can take care of virtually any home maintenance or repair job you have. Give us a call at 603.367.8272 or contact us online.
3. Give your gutters a good cleaning and inspection.
Remove any debris from your gutters, and scrub the outside. Make sure they are securely attached to your home. Repair or replace any damaged gutters.
4. Put a power washer to work.
Use a power washer to remove grime and algae from your siding, decking, and garage or carport. (Be sure to follow directions, as a power washer can cause damage if not used properly.) While you’re at it, give your driveway a good washing.
5. Fix it up.
Walk around the perimeter of your home and look for any needed repairs to your siding, foundation, or shingles. To make sure you’ve covered everything, schedule a home maintenance assessment with the Cormack team.
6. Add some character with custom millwork.
Add character and a high-end look to your home with custom exterior millwork and trim. Some of your options include:
- Ornamental Trim
- Window Boxes
- Hand-carved Doors
- Custom Shutters
- Decorative Gables
7. Give your lawn and landscaping some love.
Keep your lawn mowed, and regularly weed your gardens—covering beds with mulch or compost. Spend a weekend shaping, pruning, and cutting back your shrubs, and removing any tree limbs that hang over your house.
Home Maintenance and Handyman Services in NH’s Lakes Region, White Mountains, and Western ME
Your home is your largest investment, so it’s important to keep up your curb appeal with ongoing maintenance and care. If you need help with any home maintenance or repair, contact Cormack’s award-winning team.