Summer is winding down. The kids are heading back to school and we’re starting to see and feel evidence of cooler days to come. Now is a great time to take care of any needed home maintenance and repairs before the cold weather is upon us.
Fall Home Maintenance Checklist
Below are 10 important things you should do to prepare your home for fall. If you have any questions, or need help with any maintenance or repairs, contact the pros at Cormack.
1. Take care of your lawn. Mow your lawn as late into the fall as the grass grows. Then store your mower in a dry place.
2. Turn off your outdoor water and drain your hoses before storing them away. If you have a sprinkler system, drain it and turn it off as well.
3. Put your garden to bed. Follow these steps to make your gardening easier in the spring. Scrub your garden tools and store them in a dry place. Some gardeners suggest rubbing vegetable oil on them to prevent rusting.
4. Remove leaves and other debris from your gutters and downspouts.
5. Look for foundation cracks. Even the tiniest crack in your foundation can turn into a serious problem.
6. Check for drafts around doors and windows. Seal any cracks or openings so you can stay warm and cozy this winter (and reduce your heating bill).
7. Get a chimney cleaning and inspection. Clear out any ashes from your fireplace, but leave your chimney cleaning and inspection to the professionals.
8. Inspect your roof for any needed repairs. Use this guide to know what you should look for.
9. Drain your water heater and clear out any debris that has settled in the tank.
10. Repair any rotted stairs, doors, or fences before the harsh winter weather settles in.
Home Maintenance and Repair Services in Northern and Central NH and Western ME
The Cormack team can take care of virtually any home maintenance or repair job you have. From rotted decking, to missing shingles, to cracked doors and window frames—we have the skills, tools, and experience to handle jobs of any size. If you want to get your home repairs done right the first time, give us a call at 367.8272 or contact us online.